Month: July 2014
Beautiful home within walking distance from Penn State Blue and White Golf Course
Nearby properties for sale
First Time Buyers Guide
Ready to leave the apartment and settle into a beautiful home of your own? Buying your first home can be overwhelming, but we’ve put together some tips to help you stay headed in the right direction!
- Buy the Neighborhood: When looking for a home, you want to research the right neighborhood for you. Is the school district a good fit for your kids? Is it close to public transportation for work? Drive around some neighborhoods, or talk to locals to get a good feel of where you want to live, and what towns fit you best.
- Shop Around: The best way to make sure you are getting the best price is to check out Zillow, Trulia and Homefinder online. Look at similar homes to see what they are selling for and compare them to the homes you love. If a home seems low or high, look for reasons why such as unfinished basements or new roofs.
- Budget: Before bringing out the checkbook, make sure you can afford the home of your dreams. Get all the financial information such as mortgage, homeowners insurance and taxes to accurately measure the price of your new home. Fannie Mae recommends spending only 28% of your income on a new home to stay out of debt and on top of payments.
- Take into Consideration Repairs: After making sure you can afford your first home, take into consideration costs of repairs, leaks or any other unwanted challenges. You’ll always need some extra money for new appliances, new windows or accidents around the house.
- Inspect: One of the most important steps before moving in is to have the home inspected. Use reputable sources to make sure the home is in the condition you want. Check for termites, leaks and any other damage that could cost you and potentially change your mind on the buy.
- Get Excited: Don’t let the stress of buying a home get to you. This is your FIRST home, enjoy it! Take a deep breathe before entering a new home and get decorating ideas, learn what you like and what you don’t about a home and keep everything you learned from this experience in the back of your mind for when you need to move again!
For finding your dream home contact me, Susan Rupert, at (814) 280-0364 and take a look at our featured listings HERE.